Thursday, February 7, 2008

Six Months to Major Change

It has just been in the last few weeks that it has hit me. In six months there will be a major change at the Williams household. Sometime in the first couple of weeks of August this year, Ryan Taylor Williams will no longer be a full time resident at the Williams' house. On June 6th of this year Ryan will graduate from Billy Ryan High School and in August he will be off to college, hopefully at Texas A&M University. Now I know that millions of fathers have done this before me and most if not all have survived. But yours truely has never done this!

A couple of weeks ago Tami and I were lying in bed talking and I said to her, you know that in seven months he's going to be gone. She said what? I said you know that in seven months Ryan will be gone! She said, "I don't want to talk about it." So we didn't! Needless to say Tami and I are not looking forward with great anticipation to that day. But while we are not looking forward to it we are quite proud of the transition that will take place.

Like all of you who are parents, I still remember the day Ryan was born at Baylor hospital in Dallas, Texas. What a great place to be born! I remember how proud I was to go out and tell all our family that I had a son. He was born on Wednesday and that Sunday we watched our first Dallas Cowboys football game together, I don't remember if the Cowboys won or not but I do remember Ryan wore his Cowboys socks! From that day to this one Ryan has been nothing but a blessing to Tami and me.

I remember when Ryan and Alyssa were young, worrying that they might turn out to be "typical Preacher's kids." You know the type, rebellious, hating church because their Dad's work too much and don't pay enough attention to them. Many of them drop out of church the moment they leave home and don't return for years. I had seen examples of that and I was determined not to let that happen with my children. Preachers' kids have it tough, and anyone who is not one has no idea the pressures and expectations put on them. Having said that I am so thankful for First Baptist Church in Pleasanton and especially for over 10 years now First Baptist Church Denton that my children love their church. Never once have I had to tell my children "you are going to church" they have always wanted to, even sometimes when I didn't want to go! In fact when I'm on vacation and we are in town, Tami and I want to visit other churches, but not my kids they want to go to "Their Church." Wow! I couldn't have asked for more than that!

Its' because of the churches that God has privileged me to pastor that Ryan will leave home this August with the strong spiritual foundation he will. It's my prayer he will continue to build upon that foundation for the next four years in college and I firmly believe he will.

Ryan is the finest young man I know. He is intelligent, good-looking, he has a caring heart and a great sense of where he is heading in life. Right now I don't want to think about the change coming this August but I couldn't be more proud and thankful for the Godly young man he has become. We are in for some major change with him leaving home. Those of you who have sent your kids to college know what I'm talking about. We will make the change just like we have others in the past, but I'll be honest with you, I'm really not looking forward to it!

2 comments:

ldean said...

yes it is hard to know that your children are basicaly grown and don't need your protection any longer. but rest in the fact that they do come back, and when they do they always bring more with them. our three turned into nineteen. see what you have to look forward to. what a blessing. lealand

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff, I agree with Lealand...when they first leave, you don't think you can bear the pain. But during college you realize they are really still 'yours'. It's when the WEDDINGS come, that the REAL "Letting Go" must happen...that's a hard, but necessary part of life! But then...over time, they bless you with new little people, that remind you SO much of when your own were tiny. It's a WOW kind of love, that grandchild thing. God will lead you through this first letting go. As you say, zillions of other parents have done it, and so can you and Tami. We will pray for you. Ours left 'cold turkey', both at once (twins). I still remember seeing that red Jeep heading south down I-35 to Baylor the fall of 1993...I could see the white stuffed teddy bears in the back window. Partly still little girls/but SO excited to be leaving home. You can do this! Paula C