Monday, August 23, 2010

BACK TO SCHOOL

This is a year of "lasts" at the Williams house.  It's really already begun and today was a major one.  For the past sixteen years I have taken a picture of Ryan or Alyssa or both of them at the front door on the first day of school.  I asked Tami last night if we had all of those pictures and she assured me we do although I wasn't totally convinced!  This morning I did if for the last time.  Of course it was just Alyssa although we have threatened to drive to Stillwater and take Ryan's picture at the front door of his Frat house!  Today marks the last first day of school at the Williams' house.  Hard to believe really, but another one of those last milestones has arrived. 

Some of the "lasts" that await us throughout this year I'm looking forward to.  Like the last Cheerleader car wash that took place a couple of weeks ago!  Others I'm not really looking forward to like the picture this morning.  Of course they are all a part of life and the transitions that take place along the way.  I'm proud of Alyssa and all she has accomplished and I hope she has a great senior year at Ryan High School.

I went to Grace Pointe church yesterday right here in Denton.  Grace Pointe was started about five years ago by my friend David Smith who was pastor of FBC Corinth for 9 years.  The church meets in the former Heroes Party space on Mayhill road.  David is a great pastor and is leading a growing church here in Denton.

Next Sunday I will be at the Henderson Hills Baptist Church in Edmond, Oklahoma.  I will be staying with Mark and Alesia Campbell, former members of First Denton.  Mark is now on staff at Henderson Hills.  I'm especially excited about visiting this church and spending some time with their pastor and staff because about 8 years ago they were right where we are today as a church.  They have since relocated their entire church facility and are growing and ministering in their city.  I'm looking forward to hearing how they did it!

I'm doing some more writing this week and beginning to prepare for the sermon series I will begin on September 19th "Heroes for Today."  Thanks for your prayers.  I'm looking forward to seeing you on September 19th, don't miss that day at First Baptist!

No comments: