Tuesday, August 31, 2010

"It's Time!"

This past weekend I visited Mark Campbell and his wife Alesia in Edmond Oklahoma.  Mark and Alesia moved to Edmond from Denton about eight years ago.  Mark was on the search committee that called me to First Baptist thirteen years ago.  Not too long after I arrived in Denton Mark and Bob Modlin convinced me it would be a good idea to go to Colorado and hike up Long's Peak one of fifty-two 14,000 foot peaks in the state.  It was an experience I have never forgotten!

Mark and Alesia joined Henderson Hills Baptist Church in Edmond when they moved there eight years ago.  Mark was working in the pharmaceutical industry at the time.  About a year ago Henderson Hills convinced Mark to serve on their ministry staff.  Mark is the director of their Ministries of Jesus a wonderful ministry of the church that provides medical, and dental care as well as counseling and recovery ministry.  I was overwhelmed at what they are doing there to help thousands in their city and most importantly introducing them to Jesus Christ.

The reason I visited Henderson Hills this weekend was to see the Campbells and to learn about the ministry Mark oversees but also to visit with their pastor.  Eight years ago Henderson Hills was in many ways where First Baptist Denton is today.  They had purchased land and were planning to move their facilities to that land.  It has now been about five years since they moved.  I was able to gain some great insight into the process they went through to make that happen.  It was good to hear from someone who has been right where we are and is now on the other side of that process.

For the first time in years I'm actually still watching the Rangers this late in the season!  It looks like they are going to make the playoffs for the first time in a long time.  If you have been keeping up with the Rangers you know their theme this year is "Its Time!"  I would agree, it's time for the Rangers to do something other than just play 162 games and then go play golf.  All Summer long as I have heard those advertisements on television and at the few games I have attended I have thought that needs to be the theme of First Baptist Church.  "It's Time" for us to move toward the future God has for us as a church.

I'm looking forward to being back with you on September 19th and moving toward that future that God has for us as a church.

Don't miss Dr. Wayne Blankenship this coming Sunday.  He is a significant part of the wonderful history of First Baptist Denton and I know you are going to enjoy hearing him preach. 

No comments: