Monday, July 19, 2010

First Baptist Dallas

Tami, Ryan and I had the opportunity to worship at First Baptist Church in Dallas yesterday.  It was the first time I have been to a service there in over thirty years.  I have been to luncheons in the past few years but not to a service.  Our motivation for going yesterday was to hear their pastor Dr. Robert Jeffress and to hear Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy the real life parents portrayed in the movie The Blind Side.  We went to the 9:30 service which is the second of three and is held in what they call CenterStage as opposed to their historic sanctuary. 

The Tuohy's only spoke for about 10 minutes but I was impressed and inspired by their message.  It was simple, make a difference in someones life.  You may not be able to adopt a 6'6" 320lb African American teenager but you can make a difference in someones life every day.  They have written a book "In a Heartbeat: Sharing the Power of Cheerful Giving."  I'll warn you it's not a book about Michael Oher and their experiences with him, instead its a book about their lives and how they have tried to make a difference.  They were also featured on the cover of the USA Weekend magazine that came in the Sunday paper.  In that article they list 21 ways you can make a difference in someones life.  Sounds like what a church should be to me!  Making a difference in the lives of people.  Let me challenge you this week to make a difference in someones life.  It doesn't have to be a huge thing, just something simple that will make their day a little easier. 

This week I will be doing some more writing and spending time with God seeking His will for our church in the next 5-7 years.  I'm already getting excited about some of the things I believe He is beginning to reveal to me.  Please pray with me for God's vision, direction and plan for First Baptist Church.  Stay cool and have a great week!

1 comment:

twalk said...

Praise GOD! Good encouragment. So happy for yalls down time.